Wednesday 21 January 2009

Worst Player Ever?

Dropped on to a 5c/10c table $10 buy-in.

Now my hands were easy to play and very good, but I can't believe someone would play so poorly or gamble so much for so little.

Hand 1: AA raise to 50c mid position 3 callers, limpers up to 50c flop K8A rainbow super, check, check, I check button all-in for his stack $8. So all-in $8 to win $2 nothing is beating me at this point, perhaps he has 88 or KK or AK, anyway everyone folds round to me and I call, he has Q8 off bottom pair good kicker, stack gone. He reloads to $10 and I pass the next hand.

Hand 2: Now I have KK I'm first to act and knowing these boys will play rag aces all the way I raise to 50c, our friend is in the BB and everyone folds but him, he flat calls. Flop 2310 rainbow again, his action all-in, wow trips, AA, another big pair? I wonder as he just saw me stack him and I do feel bluffers think everyone is at it all the time and I just raised 5xBB twice in 3 hands and he can't think I've picked up another premium hand, but would he risk $10 to win $1- I give it the full 20 seconds and think yes he would. So I call he has K2 off and I win - he leaves after giving me best part of $20 in 2 minutes.

Next hand I have AK and raise 40c everyone folds to me.

So many players think all-in is strength and sure it might knock me off a few hands, I'm not going to gamble on a pair or a marginal hand most of the time unless I'm sure of what my opponent has, but in reality all-in smacks of I missed big style, my flush draw didn't hit.

I think some of these guys read magazines about players missing the flop 60% of the time and when I check he's thinking I've missed, time to scare him away, but then a 3/4 pot sized bet is scary enough on a flop with AK if you haven't hit. Other thing I think this kind of player gets wrong is they watch tournaments on TV seeing players move all-in pre-flop with AK and everyone folding or using an all-in to batter down an opponent. I don't think they get that with cash I can just re-load, it's not like my tournament life depends on that call and that if I have a good pocket pair I may call and most certainly if I flop trip aces I will call, if you beat me so what - reload - I'm not out of the game. The all-in move is much less threatening in a cash game and if I think you're at it I just might call and see.

Common low stakes internet strategy raise pre-flop all-in on the flop regardless. I reckon this has to work more than 10-1 times as if you get called once you loose $10 and usually there's little more than $1 to play for so why bet the lot?

Bank Roll $303

No comments: