Wednesday 14 January 2009

Re-Focused

I stepped up to 12c/25c $25 buy-in and played for an hour one table (so I could focus on the play) watched the betting, how players re-acted to situations, who got scared, who took risks, who played well. I selected a table where everyone was either at or below the buy-in of $25.

One thing I noticed was the increase in pot size made people think so much more about getting involved, it was nice to see if I raised to $1.50 pre-flop not every limper at the table then decided they would up their bets to $1.50 and come along for the ride. AK against 5 players just doesn't hold up well in any circles. You still had enough people will to pursue 3rd pair or chase draws at unprofitable rates to make it worthwhile.

I played on 3 tables moving everytime I went over $10 above the buy-in and ended up £35 in profit, my play was good and I felt comfortable at the tables, not out of my depth, in fact I felt I was more than capable against 90% of the guys playing.

My best played hand I called 4 x BB bet with 78 suited from a very tight player, the short stake £1.09 went all-in and we both called the 9c difference. I'm thinking see the flop and decide from there where to go. My thinking was I like to play suited connectors against these guys if nothing above a J appears I find they get worried in later streets and want to check to an A high win.

I'm very sure tight players has AK, AQ, AJ as he had bet big pairs harder on several occasions as for the short stack, who knows could be anything, but I'm not playing him I'm playing Mr Tight. Flop 2 6 9 rainbow I bet half the pot with my drawing hand and get called, this says to me two over cards backing up my first thought (he may have trips and be slow playing or an over pair) plus it only cost him $1.50 so I feel he would call, turn is a nine.

What now, I remember reading an article on telling a story with your hand and decide that if I'm right about two over cards, me betting a 9 high flop could say to my opponent I have A9 and want to protect it from being outdrawn, plus this guy don't know me and if he's does have AK perhaps he feels good about his hand and that any overcards will win it, he might put me on AQ or AJ. Decision bet half the pot and put him in a corner do I have a 9 or not but either way I bet with confidence and get called. Perhaps he feels I would have checked trip 9s hoping to trap - do I have that ability? He doesn't know.

Worrying but I'm really sure this guy aint playing junk or has a 9 and with two out there good chance he doesn't. River comes a 6 completing my story to an imaginery full house of 9s over 6s.

Right for two streets I'm saying I have a 9 or at least an over pair, if I check he checks and I'm sure I lose to 66 99 Ace high, only one decision can be made that wins this pot for me and I bet half the pot towards $7 and wait, can he call with A high, would he have anything that could beat a full-house, does he believe I have a 9. Everything I've done says I do and he must know at this level people bet what they see on the board and check anything scary. I could have gone all-in on the river but I felt half pot said come on call me, I have the goods and want more of your money and If I'm wrong I lose £11 not £25.

Clock ticks down to 0 and his hand folds, I'd forgot about the short stake all-in and our hands get shown he has KJ off and wins the pre-flop pot and I scoop the big pot. With everyone knowing I had nothing. I'm not sure what I would have done if the 6 hadn't come and make the board super scary, that 6 made my decision. I was happy with my play and my read, my opponent believed me and thats enough to win a hand.


Bank Roll $386

No comments: