Thursday 30 July 2009

Why chasing is dangerous is you get it wrong


5c/10c $10 I'm familiar with the villain, play him a lot he is loose and aggressive, but will chase draws without odds.
I limp as the button will fold/or limp as usual they fold, villain raises to 20c from the SB (he will do this with marginal hands such as 10J Q10 KQ etc. and the BB checks I'm getting 5-1 so call.
Flopped bottom pair with nut flush draw, SB min bets, I put him on a flush draw or a Jack which I can beat if the flush hits or push off if not, so I flat call, BB folded. The 3 makes a straight draw and the SB checked so I decide to bet the pot and represent the straight, bang they flat call me.
Now I was worried but if that had happened to me and I had the straight I would have pushed back while I was ahead. River a nasty two but they check so I check behind expecting to be beat and they flip Q10. I win 4's.
Right they had flush and gutshot straight draws both of which beat what I was trying to represent, potentially 12 outs (9 hearts and 3 kings), I made a pot bet so odds were even and they were around 3-1 to hit and out of position, If a heart had come and they had bet I would have re-raised all-in and they would have called. If they thought my bet was anything other than a bluff why call with ony a draw. Only making a flush or a straight would have given them any reason to bet out of position on the river.
Oh for a heart on the river as his money was then mine, all of it.

No comments: