Friday 21 November 2008

Blogs Away

So I've been playing poker online now for around 6 months. The whole thing came about after my brother got me to sign up to pacific poker and we each got a $30 bonus plus I got 10% deposit bonus. $50 in and busted soon after, but hey I can just reload with another $50 it's so easy perhaps too easy.

To date I’ve cashed out around $450 and as of today have $26 in my account having lost almost $180 since my last cash out. Over the last 6 months I’m in profit but not by much, but then I do play for fun. Only problem is playing poker well is mind numbingly boring and playing for fun costs money, lets face it I’ve only hit a full house once playing 69 off suit and I just can resist playing 69.

I play cash 95% of the time, tournaments are ok and I’ve won a few smaller ones, but I enjoy cash play more and I can come and go as I please. At the moment I’m playing 5/10 cents as its all I can afford with my bankroll but then beggars can’t be choosers and I’d rather build it back up than re-load.

The biggest pot I’ve ever won was around $120, 3 way hand 88, QQ, KK and I had the KK and flop came K83, the turn a Q and the river a 6 and I scooped a great pot. The best hand I’ve ever had was a straight flush 9 to K Clubs, had 3 straight flushes all clubs, never had a royal. Biggest lose around $50 in two consecutive hands against the same player who rivered me each time. Hitting an ace to give a full house beating my ace high flush which I’d flopped and bet aggressively. Then next hand rivering a gut shot straight against my trips after I’d made a pot sized bet on the turn and he’d called, check-check on the river.


Poker Good Points:
Statistical awareness and good mathematical ability
I understand cash play and tournament play are very different
I know when I’m the fish at the table
I know when I’m not the fish at the table
Taken the time to read about poker tips and tricks
Poker is not all about luck – it plays a part but only a part.

Poker Bad Points:
Impatience
Letting my play slip due to boredom
Thinking I’m better than I am when I’m winning going all loose and busting out
Trying to play above my level of ability and or bankroll
Playing too many hands in case I get lucky
Thinking poor players will go for my flush bluff

Poker dilemma:
Torn between playing well and just playing.

No comments: