Monday 15 December 2008

Life or Poker

I like to play poker late at night without distaction from the family.

Over the weekend I've had very little time to play perhaps about 1 1/2 hours either way was winning to no complaints.

Between decorating and the good lady wanting some loving I was limited to 2 small sessions on Sunday afternoon and early evening.

Good article about Annie Duke's Boot Camp from Inside Poker basic stuff/tips but worth a read, especially the value of position which very few people take notice of on th 5/10 cents tables. Something I see value in as you can really bully a player who checks, I reckon 7/10 times the raise causes a fold and I win with pretty much anything.

I've identified 4 player who regularly turn up at my level, they are all good players and I often play on tables with them for experience and to watch what they do. They often double very quickly luring fish holding A6 in to pots when the our out-kicked. I'm getting to know their play, for example one will always raise 50c from the small blind if folded round to him, last night I took him on a few times (from the BB) re-raised him pre-flop and bet the flop each time he folded, but I'm guessing if I get re-raised or he goes after me on the flop I'd better fold.

All these guys seem to work much the same preying on weaker and short stacked players, I think a lot of people look at the board and put one opponent on the best hand that can be made especially heads up. These players exploits this and if you watch they always seem to have the ace, straight or flush and people believe them as they have amassed a stack of chips.

One thing they all do is make their plays and if someone comes back very strong they will get out the way, they conserve and save cash as well and they win cash - all round good play. Oh and they don't showdown very often, they want pot closed off well before the river, unless they have a monster.

Major peeve still if the table goes min raise all the way to me in the BB and I have a great hand and raise it 50c why do all the other players then call the bet. What was worth 10c to 5 players now worth an extra 50c and you know even ace may struggle against 5 opponents looking for flushes and straights. Arrh fold please, except one of you with 66, thanks.

Bank Roll $210

No comments: