Friday 12 December 2008

Aggression Aggression Aggression

While I meet lots of people on the 5/10cents tables who have read about aggressive play by the pro’s, they fail to spot the fact that stone cold bluffs can get you burned, sure pick your spot and flop to get creative with but the board showing 4 spades queen high and the other two players aren’t going away perhaps you shouldn’t be bluffing the Ace spades you don’t have cause I have it and the other guy has the King, perhaps an All-in first to act on the turn wasn’t a good move without a spade in your hand and two other opponents behind you betting a 3 spade flop. Thank you for the pay out.

Aggressiveness alone will not be enough to win as the first time you get called, you will probably get busted. I see this all the time and I’m happy the bet and fold several times as if I’m weak, just waiting for the right hand and when I re-raise you with the nuts you will re-re-raise or go all-in with nothing because you saw the move on late night poker, when I call your money’s gone in one hand.

I have accepted I’m not a great poker player and I often make really stupid decisions even predicting opponent’s hands, very often correctly, and still calling and getting beat, this is my biggest flaw. But what I am learning is how to react to players at the table, who will back down, who will call to the river, who will be tempted by my all-in even though they shouldn’t and who to avoid. If I can just lay down trips if I think I’m beaten then my game would be so much better.

Today’s play has seen me up the bank roll by $35 in a little under 30 minutes. I’m looking at opponents and if they have less than $2 and I think I’m ahead I try and get them committed to the pot and in reality they are looking for a quick double up and will take a gamble heads up. Once you hit $15 at a $10 table you get much respect from 50% of the players leaving you at least two to fuck with and giving you the opportunity to get creative on the button.

Good/bad hands today head to head with 1010 with a flop 10 7 2 all-in from opponent who had JJ I called turn 8 river 9 busted for $9 two hands in.

Limped with QJ suited flop 10 K 3 min opponent bets 50cents and I’m thinking AK or AQ so I call because I have an opened ended straight draw, no flush draw out and if he hits an Ace I rock. Turn was Ace and he goes all-in I called he had AQ river was nothing I win his entire stack. He said I was a luck shit, but I thought I played it perfect as I was away from the hand if an Ace or a 9 don’t come, but was fairly sure the appearance of a Ace would mean he would push some cash in the pot and barring a full house I win.

So after today I’m forgetting about the cards for a while and concentrating on the people, I’m seeing the same regular faces, who I make notes on and most new players act in very few different ways, mostly split in to the he bet the Ace he must have the ace I’m folding now and I’m seeing the flop regardless cause my 92 off might hit which extends to the I’m seeing the river regardless.

Bank Roll $192

No comments: