Monday 30 March 2009

Reading an opponent

I won a hand, virtual stacking an opponent, mostly through having a good and more importantly predicting how my opponent would react.

First off they were rasing and re-raising everything, making above potsize bets into dry boards and had gathered a stack of $35+ on a $10 buyin. The only time they slowed down was when they had big hands and they liked to limp big starting hands.

I limp with 10Q clubs (everyone limps) flop goes 9 10 5 - one club (9) our friend is on the button and everyone checks to him and he makes a potsize bet, as I thought he might, I called with top pair and a good kicker, turn is a K (clubs) I check, he bet 50c and I call as I'm getting 5-1 or so and I have flush, straight and straight flush draws, river is a J completing my straight and I pretty sure he don't have AQ to beat me and I'm not sure if I check he'll bet so I make a potsized bet hoping he thinks I've missed my flush and he calls with KKK and lost. Man was he not happy - I'm the biggest fish out there for betting on a gutshot, I got lucky as he was trapping me, I let him rant, for me top pair on the flop, loads of outs on the turn and cheap and good odds to call, luck river card yes, but if I missed and he made a big bet I was gone.

So he's angry and started making bigger bets into the pots, scaring away his opponents, I sat tight, but when I raised he re-raised me, fine.

So 12 hands later I have 10 10 in the BB to his SB I raised to 40c after he made up the blind, he re-raises to 80c as before cause he's pissed at me, I called cause he raises so often he might have nothing anyway, flop 3 10 Q rainbow. I checked knowing he'd bet and he makes a potsize bet, which I re-raised x 3 more than normal because I know he aint backing down from me cause I'm a fish, he calls and the turn is a A, I still think I'm ahead so a make a really weak bet at the pot and he goes all-in I call, he has the dream hand of AQ off, river is another 10 to give me quads and he's virtual busted.

Might be wrong but versus these aggressive loose players I like to play pairs as if I do hit trips I find they will throw money at any top pair they hit and all-in on a two pair for sure, they will even fire a few bluffs if they miss, so any played pair that makes trips is usually profitable for me.

He didnt complain about loosing and just left.

He can bully all he wants but a patient player will catch him out.

I was happy with the hand because I was very sure how he would react, I needed the 10 to be confident, him having the Q and then the A was a bonus, to be honest the Q was probably enough for him to bust, as he'd happily bet over the top of an A on the board in previous hands

Nice.

No comments: